viernes, 7 de noviembre de 2008

The Parenting Pyramid

This article explains the Parenting Pyramid, something that I discovered many years ago. I like it a lot because it confirms and elaborate upon my ideas of successful relationships and parenting. I don't think The Arbinger Institute has a monopoly on parenting ideas; but they have a very interesting way of presenting the truth that is helpful to many.

The parenting pyramid suggests a hierarchy of focus in our familial relationships. Listing the heirarchy would look as follows:
1. Our "way of being". I think of this as our relationship with God and oneself.
2. Our relationship with our spouse;
3. Our relationships with our children;
4. Teaching;
5. Correction.


Here is the key: A problem or concern in any area can only be resolved by looking at the priorities above it (or in the triangle diagram: concerns are resolved by moving to a lower (or mare basic, level).

The hierarchy also suggests where we should spend our time. I could write more about this, but I think my thoughts would be redundant to the article. And I think the list (or diagram) with the accompanying key speaks for itself. I stumbled upon this concept almost 10 years ago when I began to make notes for one of the many books I want to write (someday, really!). Anyway, I wanted to write a parenting book that inspired to parents to look at themselves for the solutions to their "problems of discipline". I've always thought the pop-culture focus on discipline and control is off the mark. (For this same reason I like the works of Alfie Kohn).

I am rambling.

As parents, let us focus on being better selves. In this way, we can best serve our children.

No hay comentarios: